Sunday, March 24, 2013

Top 7 Things Sociology Offers the World: Introduction


I've been thinking a lot lately about why I love Sociology so much and why the rest of the world does not.

An article in the Huffington Post by Scott Atran called The Folly of Defunding Social Sciences raised some important points. The last sentence caught my eye:
There is more to being a citizen than voting!
The Founding Fathers envisioned a Republic with an enlightened citizenry educated in "all philosophical Experiments that Light into the Nature of Things ... and multiply the Conveniences or Pleasures of Life" -- not just technical training for jobs that pay well.
I have come to believe that it is an "enlightened  citizenry" that our government fears the most. And I've come to believe (or rather, have strong evidence suggesting) that Sociology is a key to enlightenment.

So over the next week I will be posting daily my Top 7 Things Sociology Offers the World.

Stay tuned!

Next: Sociology offers a fuller picture of our condition as human beings. (Published March 25, 2013, 6am PDT)

1 comment:

Holly Gray said...

Beautiful point! The number one comment I get from students about the discipline? It "opened their eyes." Imagine the beauty and danger of an enlightened citizenship!